Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Trust and consequences...

What do you do when you realize the one person you were supposed to be able to trust most in the world betrays you...terribly and repeatedly? What do you do when all you thought was true crumbles beneath you?

I remember everything.
I remember the day we met,
And how it felt when you first kissed me.
I remember our hot summer days at the pool,
And how I would always follow you around...
Getting us both in trouble.
I remember silly fights,
Why you saw a movie without me
And why you didn't call me one day.
I remember saying everyone deserves another chance...
And I remember giving you that chance....giving us that chance.
I remember the late night phone calls,
Being forbidden to spend time with you.
I remember the costly phone bills
And following you everywhere at school.
I remember not being sure...but trusting you.
I remember the moment you proposed,
So nervous, but not on one knee.
I remember the hard times...
Fighting over stupid things like candles and guests,
Location and priest.
I remember the day we said, "I do..."
And how good it felt to have someone to hold so closely,
So dearly...so completely.
I remember crying...for joy...as a release.
I remember the glow, the glow of a new love.
I remember the long nights apart...
Days and nights at work, apart from one another.
I remember more fights...over alcohol, time apart, friends and more.
I remember how I longed to spend time with you...
How I begged you to see me.
I remember how much it hurt to have you hold me,
Knowing you didn't know me at all.
I remember that night...that night.
And I wish I didn't.
I will remember our love...how it grew, was choked, and died.
I will remember how we used to make each other laugh...
Laugh until we cried.
I will remember the good times...
But they cannot overshadow the bad times.
I will remember the pain when you said I was giving up.
But I must remember that I have to take care of myself.
Because that you forgot.
I trusted you to care for me...
But that you forgot.

It is not easy to be in this place. To be so torn apart from the one that you just want most in the world to be a part of...but you know you can't be anymore.

No comments: