Thursday, March 5, 2009

Scar tissue that I wish you saw...

I can show you some of my scars,
Some have great stories.
This one on my arm
is from a go cart motor.
The one above my eye from a dog bite.
(And yet I have never feared dogs.)
The puffy one on my hand from
falling off a golf cart,
the series of scars down my side from the same fall.
Split my head open in 4th grade,
the evidence, a nice scar right in the middle of my hairline.
A nice neat scar on my wrist,
surgery to help me work better.

But I can't show you all the scars on the inside.
I can't show you how cut up and broken my heart is.
I can't show you how deep the scars run...
How long they have taken to heal...
How many are still healing.

If I could transfer the scars on the inside to the outside...
You might not see me the same way.
You could see the pain I am feeling...
And how some scars are splitting open with new wounds.

I wish you could see my scars.
All of them.
Then maybe you would understand.

No comments: