Friday, March 27, 2009

Melting

It only took one day
To be able to drive my car out 
Of the snowdrift and to work.

One day to melt enough snow
To make commuting easy.
One day for snow to become slush,
And for slush to turn to muddy water.

One day for the city to get back on its feet,
Cleaning up after accidents,
And working to prevent more.

How could so much melt in one day?

I have built a city of snow around my heart,
A wall of ice about my emotions.
Years of attempts to melt it have failed,
Leaving me still alone in my self-made igloo.

But I have noticed slowly, but steadily,
There is a drip...drip...drip.
A tiny hole in the wall,
Another in the ceiling.
The light is starting to shine through.
At first it is too bright, too much to take.
The ice is my barrier, my protection.
I am not sure how to act once that is gone.

I see what is on the other side,
A hand, a smile.
How can I trust it's best to come out of the igloo now?
Maybe it's because of the warmth I feel
Through the hole in the ceiling.
I close my eyes, and I feel warmth...not ice.
I don't feel so numb, I feel--happy.

I close my eyes, and turn my face
Toward that small hole in the ceiling.
There may not be sunshine every day
Outside the igloo.
But there is more sunshine out there,
Than in here.

I let the water drip onto my face,
And I reach out.
One ice block, then another...

I will slowly tear down my own igloo.
I will feel the sunshine again.
I will choose to be happy, and not numb.


No comments: