Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Walking Away


There are some days that I just look at a part of the shop...a part of my second home...and wonder what it is going to be like in a couple months when I won't be here any more. It seems so surreal to me. This building, these walls have been my home for so long, that I am curious to know how I will feel once they are strange to me...

I have walked these very steps at least every weekday for the past 7 years. Whose feet will fall in my steps once I am gone? Where will my new path lead me?

It may not be anything grand...but it's mine. I remember when the raccoon lived under the bench, when people broke into the shop just to play with the toys, when Ted's computer was stolen, hours and hours of plastering face casts...

So much of it is so vivid...like it was just yesterday that Sandy took over my ruffle while I worked on her dress, last week that I walked across the stage and accepted my "diploma cover," last weekend that we were dyeing yards and yards of flannel varying shades of yellow....only a couple weeks ago I decided that I wanted to work in theatre because of the passion I witnessed in this very department...

One day soon...this will no longer be my home. I will have to make a new one for myself...and I will have to accept the strangeness that will come...

No comments: