Monday, March 8, 2010

Marriage, Briefly



Wow...so many things happened today...that I don't know what picture to use for the day...so I guess it will just have to be a surprise.

There is something I really want to write about...but I don't know if it is appropriate yet. So, I will hold that thought briefly.

Today I got to spend the evening with my family celebrating my brother's birthday. It was so nice to spend some time with just the fam...but I also found out my brother called off his engagement completely...which is definitely the good news.

You might think that just because I have been through divorce that I don't believe in marriage anymore. Sometimes I am sure it seems that I am anti-marriage....but let me assure you, I am not.

I still believe that marriage can work. I still believe that marriage has a purpose....that being able to make that commitment to one person is important. I hope that one day I will want to get married again...that next time I will find the one really meant for me...the one who will respect me and be honest with me and love me completely.

I do have difficulty being able to support people who marry young. I remember it all so well, even now...it is so difficult. Trying to bind yourself to another person when you are so completely unsure of who you are yourself. How are you supposed to know if you are "unequally yoked" if you don't even know your own burden yet?

Wanting to spend your life with someone is amazing. Watching that dream unfold, little by little is breath-taking. Being able to walk hand in hand with someone, feeling as though you know this is the one person you can entrust every iota of your being to....is a phenomenal feeling.

But for as euphoric as those moments are....the balance is if things are lost...it's extremely tragic and gut-wrenching.

But I believe that everything worthwhile requires work. The the really truly wonderful and amazing things in life require taking a risk....going way out on a limb...being willing to get totally killed...

It is when you are most vulnerable that you give yourself the most room to grow. You just have to be wise about it....

No comments: