Thursday, May 21, 2009

Summer Nights...

Through the cold of the winter,
All through the chill of the short dark days,
And longer, colder, darker nights...
I had forgotten the joy of the sunshine,
I had lost the hope of a warm summer night.

The dark of the winter had weighed
So heavily on my heart and soul
That I was lost.
Lost in the depth of what I had become,
Lost in the cold of how I felt,
And how the world felt to me.
Lost in the darkness of being alone,
and the darkness of those winter nights.
Lost in who I was,
and who I am meant to be.

But now that the sun is brighter,
Now that the air is warmer,
And the nights are kinder and warmer...
I have that familiar feeling in my soul,
The re-awakening of the joy within myself.

It is difficult to survive the winter some years.
It draws me in and makes me a slave.
But this year, I have to free myself
From so much more than just the winter.
This year is different.
This summer is a new awakening,
A brand new day,
A brand new sun,
A brand new look,
A brand new me.

The summer sun will drench my skin in light,
My freckles will come back out to play.
My skin will darken,
My hair will lighten.
But most of all,
My soul with soar.
My heart will leap.

I am no longer tied down to the cold,
I am no longer tied to the darkness within my soul.
Today is a brighter day than yesterday,
And tomorrow will be brighter still.

My soul warms in the rays of the sun.
I am a Ray of the Sun.

My freckles will come out to play,
My soul will soar.

No comments: