Tuesday, October 12, 2010

How Do You Like Your Meat?

I was driving home from TCS today, and on my way around to 96th, I came across a semi facing the other direction on a divided cloverleaf...

The semi had tried to take a really tight cloverleaf through a highly landscaped area--so there were hills as well as the usual trees, etc. Well, the semi's trailer had gotten caught up on one of the hills, so the trailer was tilted at about a 35 degree angle, looking as though it might tip right over at any time.

As I continued to drive past the semi, I realized that this was no ordinary trailer--it was a livestock trailer. My heart filled with dread as I came around the side...and sure enough, I saw the bodies of cows pressed way up against the wall, and I heard a chorus of moo's as I drove past...

I was infuriated. I wanted to stop and point out the indecency in the idiocy. No one seemed the least bit worried about the cows...I bet everyone was far more concerned with the landscaping at their precious mall...

Looking into a livestock trailer as I was driving past it was my last straw--it pushed me over the edge into becoming a vegetarian. I remember looking in and seeing an eye...a terrified, lonely eye....

All my thoughts and feelings concerning animal souls aside...this is another reason why I don't eat meat. The transport and slaughter of animals in this country is atrocious and often very inhumane. Want to read a little about it? Try Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin. I bet you'll learn something about yourself too.

I think of our society, and how everyone is toting karma and zen around in their handbags like it's going to give their lives meaning and purpose, as well as make them fashionable. My thought is, do you really want to put this kind of energy into your body? Not only the caloric energy of antibiotic laced, malnourished cow meat; but also the not-so-tangible energy of a being that was mistreated in life, carelessly transported and brutally killed. Sounds super zen and like great karma, right?

So, how do you like your meat? Mooing on the side of the road as it stands--scared and confused in a trailer that is half-tilted? Or do you like your chicken packed so tightly into hen houses that they nervously peck at each other, eventually plucking most of each others' feathers out whilst trying to calm their neurosis? Or do you like your pig squealing...in such a manner that even the people who have been working the slaughter floor for years still react to the noise?

If you'd rather watch a movie than read, try Food, Inc. I still have nightmares about the bit with the cow and the forklift...

I encourage you to think twice about what you eat. Even if you never have any intention of becoming a vegetarian. Think about where it came from, the life it led, and the death it had to face.

Then think about if you really want to support such practices.

There are better ways of doing things...

Thank you.

No comments: