Sunday, May 9, 2010

Frog Prince




So, I couldn't resist doing a second post today. Ted hired me to sculpt a "frog prince" for a project he is doing, and so that is what I spent my afternoon doing.

Off of the coat tails of my Giving Up post, I felt it rather appropriate that I got stuck thinking about magical princes and princesses and the "magic" of "true love."

Why are we incessantly read fairy tales as children? Why are we taught to believe that love is magical and that "someday our prince will come," only to have the truth force-fed to us years later? Does it make sense to grow up believing in "happily ever after" only to have that dream shattered?

So I find myself up against a wall. Do I continue to believe (somewhere....deep down in the tiny cracks of my heart) that there is a "prince" and a "happily ever after" for me? Or do I forget it all, and start writing my own tale--one without magic or sparks...or fate or dreams?

Somehow, kissing a few frogs just to find your prince doesn't seem so bad after all.

No comments: