Thursday, May 13, 2010

Deciduous Trees in May...




Lately, I often feel like a deciduous tree in May. We had a late snow--a really dense, wet snow...and when that happens at this time of year--after the trees have started to bloom, then the weight of the world seem to be on every tree. They bend, lower and lower to the ground, hunched over as though they were Atlas.

This is how I feel of late...the weight of past decisions, current events in my own life, the expectations of others, limitations of the world...desires for my own life...

I feel it weighing down on me,
And I wonder if this is how it should be.
My back bent to breaking,
My heart constantly aching...
Can I shake this burden?

As the sun rises,
I pray that my life is
Just beginning,
And starting anew.
I feel the sun shine,
And I remember--
It just takes time.

I wait...
And wait...
To feel the sun warm me,
After the snow has melted away,
After the winter of my heart has ended...

As it helps me shake away,
Melt away,
the weight of the world...
Off my bending, breaking shoulders...
Off my battered and bruised heart.

Then...
I will find freedom in nothing more
Than the spring breeze
Rustling through the leaves...
As I learn to live my life
Just as I please.

No comments: