Monday, August 17, 2009

Last First Day

Today I started back to work...and it was ok. I had hoped that I would get to spend the day mostly alone, unpacking as I always do...but the shop ended up being pretty busy. So my thoughts were scattered and unfocused.

But today...was my last first day in this job. I know that I am leaving...and it does make me sad. As I walked through the halls and rooms...I thought about the different moments that have occurred within the confines of these walls....

I stood for a brief moment in the makeup room...at the very mirror where I sat during class when I knew I had finally found where I belonged. I ran my hands along the bricks of the building...feeling how smooth and rough they are all at the same time...remembering what it was like the first time I walked up to this building...I had no idea it would become my home for so long.

8 years I have been in and out of this building. I know every short cut, every corner. I have been to the hidden rooms most people don't even know exist. I know this place...these spaces...

It is hard to think that this will be my last time starting the school year in this place. I know it will take me all year to say goodbye. Each day just reminds me....next year it will be totally different. Someone else will be in my place, someone else will be in my shoes doing my job. I can only hope that I will leave a lasting, pleasant legacy...

I know how it all works here. I know where everything goes....how all the pieces fit together. And now I will have to teach someone else all the secrets....as I move on to discover new worlds.

One week from today, classes start. And I know that will be a rough day too.

Another last day...

...in a place I love so dearly.

2 comments:

Soaf said...

Lishish, no one can ever wear your shoes. You never take them off. I swear you shower in heels. I can't believe you're designing for a music video. I mean, I can, you're amazing and it only makes sense, but I'm selfish and I'm going to miss you when you go. <3. 3;'). (^^^), etc., etc.

Unknown said...

Oh Soaf....I am going to miss you too! But we know it's time. ;-) And ps>congrats on being my first official follower! I have a follower!!!! Woohoo!