Thursday, July 23, 2009

Front Porch Phenomenon

There is this wonderful phenomenon among the elderly generation...the front porch. Friends gather together almost every night on someone's front porch, and they sit and talk with each other for hours. There are no watches, no clocks. Simply the joy of sharing each others' company.

When I am here in Tucson, I get to sit in on these wonderful events. My Grandma and I walk about a block and a half, over to either Ann's or Althea's, and we rustle up a couple of chairs...and join the circle of friends.

Tonight as I looked around, I realized that I am younger than everyone by at least 5 decades. So, I gaze around....and admire the friendships that I see before me.

These friendships are neither superficial nor out of convenience. There are bonds here that have been forged over years of battles with life, formed between allies...these are bonds that cannot be broken.

I am the only one wearing any makeup in the circle....the only one who still needs a physical facade to hide behind. I am the only one with a phone in their hand...there is no need for another diversion when one is surrounded by wonderful friends.

All of a sudden...I felt like I was 12 again. With my scraped knees and scartched legs...my lack of life experience...my lack of strong bonds.

As I look around the circle, I can only pray that someday...I will have friends that I can sit out on the front porch with.
No clock.
No phone.
No makeup.
Only the strongest bonds which tie us together...those of hope and love.

No comments: