Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Body and Mind...

I spent an hour today talking about my body in therapy.

It's not the first time, and I am sure it is not the last.


I am not sure how every else relates to their own body, but this is how I relate to mine:

My body, my physicality, is a vessel--a machine really. It is what gets me from point A to point B, it is what lets me run through the meadow and climb rocks. It is the means by which I get to experience life...but it is not me.

I don't look in the mirror and see myself. I look in the mirror and see a mass of bone, muscle and flesh...a body suitable for most adventures. A machine, ready to run, climb, skip, jump, twist and shout.

But I also don't see my body as others see it. My mind is stuck in another time, when I was not as healthy as I am now. (Not that I am super-healthy...I still have soy ice cream for breakfast some days...) But a time when I was not as fit.

So every mirror is a fun house mirror to me...I look into one, and I see some version of me, but not who I am told I really am....and not the me that I really know.


No comments: