Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Defying Gravity...




from Wicked

I hope you're happy.
I hope you're happy now.
I hope you're happy how you hurt your cause forever,
I hope you think you're clever.

I hope you're happy.
I hope you're happy too.
I hope you're proud how you would grovel in submission,
To feed your own ambition.

So though I can't imagine how,
But I hope you're happy right now.

Elphie, listen to me,
Just say you're sorry...
You can still be with the wizard,
What you've worked and waited for...
You can have all you ever wanted...

I know, but I don't want it, no--
I can't want it anymore.

Something has changed within me,
Something is not the same.
I'm through with playing by the rules
Of some else's game.
Too late for second guessing,
Too late to go back to sleep.
It's time to trust my instincts,
Close my eyes, and leap.

It's time to try defying gravity,
I think I'll try defying gravity,
And you can't pull me down.

Can't I make you understand,
You're having delusions of grandeur?

I'm through accepting limits,
'Cause someone says they're so.
Some things I cannot change,
But 'til I try I'll never know.
Too long I've been afraid of
Losing love--I guess I've lost...
Well if that's love it comes at much too high a cost.

And still I try defying gravity,
Kiss me goodbye, I'm defying gravity.
And you can't pull me down.

Glinda, come with me. Think of what we could do, together.
Unlimited.
Together, we're unlimited.
Together we'll be the greatest team there's ever been.
Glinda, dreams the way we planned them,
If we work in tandem.
There's no fight we cannot win.

Just you and I defying gravity.
With you and I, defying gravity,
They'll never bring us down.

Well, are you coming?

I hope you're happy,
Now that you're choosing this.

You too, I hope it brings you bliss.
I really hope you get it,
And you don't live to regret it.

I hope you're happy in the end.
I hope you're happy, my friend.

So if you care to find me,
Look to the western sky.
As someone told me lately,
Everyone deserves a chance to fly.
And if I'm flying solo,
At least I'm flying free--
To those who ground me,
Take a message back from me...
Tell them how I am defying gravity,
I'm flying high defying gravity.
And soon I'll match them in renown,
And nobody in all of Oz,
No wizard that there is or was,
Is ever gonna bring me down.

I hope you're happy...

And you can't bring me down.
_________________________

The kids and I had a crafting day today, and while we were crafting we played some music videos. For some reason, I chose to play this song...I am not sure why...but I am glad I did.

As a general rule...I don't like musicals. Every once in a great while I might enjoy one--or a song from one. And this song is one I really love...

I just got to thinking about the lyrics...and about the freedom that I have been feeling lately.

I had all I ever thought I wanted...but I don't want it anymore. I am learning what it means to not follow everyone else's rules...what it means to push the limits and to push myself. I am learning what it means to trust myself--to trust that gut feeling...to stop trusting the world so much when I should trust myself more. What it means to be more than I ever thought possible for myself...I may not be able to change the world--but I can at least try.

So often I have been afraid of losing out on love...on losing love. And it's true--I lost. I lost it all...myself, my heart, my faith, my mind. I felt lost....for so long. But now....I think that I have a much better idea of what love is....love is foolish--but I still might try it sometime...someday...

Someday maybe I will find someone who will want to shoot for the moon too. Maybe there's someone else who wants to fly higher then they ever thought possible....until then--if I'm flying solo, at least I am flying free...

So...if you can't find me--look up among the stars. I'll be there--defying gravity.

3 comments:

Poosh said...

Can you please differentiate between "the kids" you are babysitting and "the kids" your cats who I am fairly certain do not craft and listen to Wicked, but who knows, they probably are super cats considering they are related to Lisa Ray.

Unknown said...

Sorry Pooshie! From now on I will refer to the children I am babysitting as "the kids" and my super cats as "my kids." And the bullpuppies will be "bro and sis." Less confusing??

Poosh said...

Yes, that helps, spankadoodle!