Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Alone

Countless nights now.
I thought they were through.
I remember counting down,
The last of the alone nights...
And feeling so excited,
So completely elated.

It's colder now...
In these new rooms.
I am glad they are new...
I could never stay
In the old ones.

As I sit alone...
I wonder where you sit.
If you are also alone.
But it doesn't matter.

My heart aches...
For what was lost.
For how it was broken.
Even after I loved again,
It broke once more.

I forgot...
This is why I
Find relationships.
I am more at ease
Caring for someone else
Than I am
When caring for myself.

It is so quiet...
In these new rooms.
So very very quiet.
I don't mind it mostly.
But nights like tonight,
I really do.

I wish someone were here,
To listen about my day.
To comfort me as I recover.
For me to make dinner for...
Yeah, that's a new one.

I wish someone were here,
To share my space,
To hold me tight.
For me to care for...
And for me to hold onto...

It's not the same...
No one wants to hear
All about my day.
No one wants to hold
Me tight and dear.

But I couldn't stay
Where we were.
We couldn't stay
Where we were.
It was not right for
Either of us.

As much as it hurts now,
And as cold and quiet
As is it now...
I know it will be
Better...
For us both.

I only know it's true...
Because I know
That it's already better.
Despite the cold,
Even with the quiet...
Including each night
I spend alone...

I know it's better...
For you...
And for me.

No comments: