Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Grandma Top Ten...

Grandma is here!! So, I anticipate that my writing for the next week will be sparse, since I hope to be spending most of my time with Grandma.

I am so lucky to have such a wonderful Grandmother. And just for fun, here are the top ten most awesome things about my Grandma:

10. She loves Jack Daniels whiskey. There are some funny stories here (never one concerning drunkenness, but hilarious nonetheless)...and I know she always has some on hand at home.

9. She loves the desert almost as much as I do. We both love the heat, and so every time we talk, we discuss the weather in detail, and most of the time commiserate on how cold it is where we are...

8. She always wants me to steal the plants from the Tucson Mall for her. They have large bromeliads in very large pots, and every time we go there she tells me to grab one and she'll pull the car around. Sometimes I am not sure she is joking...

7. Her favorite color is green, followed closely by purple. She worked very hard when I was little to make sure I enjoyed green too (my favorite color was always purple), by sending me pictures of frogs, green plants, etc. So she instilled in me a love for the color green...

6. She regularly makes me go on midnight gardening recon missions with her. In her complex, the HOA is responsible for all the plants in the front yards. Well, sometimes there is a plant in another yard or community area that she wants...so we wait until it's well into the darkness of night, then we head out--her with a flashlight, me with a trowel and gloves, and we transfer whatever she wants to wherever she wants. I love these little adventures.

5. Her favorite shirt is from 1991...or 1995, I can't remember. But she thinks it's perfect, so I have been repairing little holes in it for the last two years. I plan to continue to repair it until it becomes all but dust, because she loves it so much.

4. She is so unique. I don't think I have ever heard the same story twice...and I know that she still has more to share. She loves everything from hummingbirds to elephants to cashews. She abhors mushrooms and long lines anywhere. And shoe shopping...she hates not finding the perfect shoe.

3. She is beyond giving. She shares what she has with who needs it...suitcases, time, her spare bedroom...everything.

2. She is hilarious. I know she doesn't always intend to be, but her laugh is contagious--and she has wonderful stories to share.

1. She is the strongest woman I know. She is stubborn, determined, caring and compassionate. I have never met anyone like her, and I am sure I never will. If I am lucky, someday I will be half the woman she has become.

My Grandma is amazing, and I love her oh so dearly!! And now, you know some reasons why.

No comments: